Sunday, January 20, 2019

Dell Portable EmuStation - Building and Game Test


Some time ago i wrote about my scrap yard finding - Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, which i planned to transform into Portable Emulation Device. I'm still waiting for couple of things to my Dell Workstation, so here's my way to do this EmuStation.

First of all i need to take apart everything and clean insides of the laptop. Since the day i get it i haven't checked the CPU nor GPU coolers, probably thermal paste is in very bad shape. Of course i also did not forget about the housing - full cleaning with restoring of all i could (broken or bent fan grilles, missing plastic parts or missing screws).

Dismantling this piece of technology is pretty easy to be done - everything holds on screws or snaps. I managed to unscrew everything to a small parts and to clean everything. My way of cleaning was to put all plastic parts under hot water with cleaning gel (standard, dishwashig gel), scrap it all with soft sponge and put it near the radiator for the night to let it dry. I even dismantled the keyboard by taking all buttons out, cleaning them and scrapping the keyboard plate of grease and dust.




After the night i took all the parts and mounted them together into the housing. The only thing that was irritating me while assembling this Dell was the housing - silver parts after cleaning started losing their silver color. I'm thinking about repainting whole housing with white and red colors, but it's far future.












After putting everything back to working state the only thing that left was the dent of lower part of housing. I managed to fill it with a piece of plastig i cut from some old housing i had in basement. I glued it to Dell housing using hot glue and polymer glue. After 24 hours of drying it holds on place very stable.







The only thing i had to do was to put an OS (i chose Windows XP Pro). After an hour i had Windows and all important drivers installed. Laptop is running nicely and is ready to be used. I set Windows to make the most of this 1 GB of RAM by setting everything to best performance.

The very last thing was to set NES and PSX emulators. I used fceux to run NES games and ePSXe to run PSX games (i have a lot of games on discs, so i need to have the possibility to run games from CD-ROM drive.

Below is a little video showing how NES and PSX games run on my Dell Inspiron 6000 Portable EmuMachine. From my point of view games are running very smooth and it's the best way to use this laptop. Tell me what you think about it in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment